Wednesday 26 April 2017

When It Feels Like Your Hair Just Isn't Growing


Hey guys!! How have you been? My week has been okay so far. How is it still Wednesday though?? I really can't wait for Friday.

So guys, I've been feeling like my hair hasn't been growing for a while now. Obviously I know everyone's hair grows and if your hair stays the same length, it just means it's breaking at the same rate or a faster rate than your hair is growing.

I've been natural for almost 5 years but my hair is even shorter now than it was 2 years ago. I know my hair broke a lot last year because it was constantly in braids and when it wasn't, it was in puffs and I dry combed it.

This year, I've stopped dry combing and though my hair hasn't really been in braids, it's been in wigs or a low bun. I decided to get braids done 2 weeks ago and before I started my hair I looked at my hair and I was like why does it look like I haven't retained any length this year??

Here's what I think I need to do to finally start retaining more length again:

1. Change my regimen: My current regimen is clearly not working for me. I'm going to go back to the regimen I had 2 years ago when I retained more length and if this doesn't work, I'll come up with a new regimen. Lucky for me I blogged a lot 2 years ago so I can see exactly what it was I used to that helped me retain more length then.

One of the things I used to do was steaming my hair every time I deep conditioned but I hardly do that now. There are a few other things I did like having my hair in natural styles like mini twists or goddess braids. I haven't done those styles in a while because they make me look even younger than I already look and I'm not sure I want to look that way at work.

2. Eat healthy & exercise: I don't really eat healthy and I know this is one thing that affects hair growth and healthy hair. I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat healthy and start doing some exercise not just for my hair but my health in general.

3. A big trim: I think my hair needs a big trim. I was thinking of doing a 2nd big chop and starting all over again but I've decided to just get a big trim instead. When I take out my braids, I'll get my split ends and knots trimmed at a salon.

I hope after doing these things I'll actually start seeing some changes.

Have you experienced any challenges with length retention? How did you deal with it?

Thanks for reading and have a great week!

Oyime :)

2 comments:

  1. hey! Your post was a great read and I completely understand this struggle. I have been natural for about 7 years and I honestly haven't seen as much growth as I should. To be fair for the 1st 3-4 years I had no idea what I was doing with my hair so it broke a lot. Last year however I retained more length than I ever have before. I think it's because I was paranoid of the weather drying my hair. I used to stick to a strict regime of moisturising,finger combing and protective styling. This year however I got lazy and slacked off a lot on that regime. Now my hair is breaking like crazy. :/ This made me realise how important proper moisture and low, gentle manipulation is in length retention.

    -kamilah ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kamilah! Yeah I definitely think low manipulation is important for length retention. I also agree that for the first few years a lot of people don't know exactly what to do with their hair. Oh well, good luck to us! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please leave a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...