Thursday 2 July 2015

New Month! New Hair Goal!



Hey people!! It's a new month!! We're actually halfway through the year and I'm just trying to think of the hair goals I've had, if I've achieved any of them and the mistakes I've made on the way.


I haven't really had any hair goals to be honest. I've just always wanted long hair. When I say long hair, I don't mean waist length or hip length, I mean maybe mid-back or a little longer than that. I've also said I want healthy hair but if I'm being honest with myself, I've made a lot of avoidable mistakes.

I always talk about trimming and how important it is. So sometimes, after twisting my hair I trim off a bit of my hair. This is called dusting. However, have you seen how full my hair is? It's hard for me to effectively trim my hair the way I want.

First of all, I think my hair is a bit uneven in some places and also, those times I trimmed my hair I just took off a few centimetres or maybe an inch. Because of this, a lot of my split ends have remained. If your hair is like mine (split ends and knots central), and you just trim a bit once in 4 months for trimming sake you might just be wasting your time.

I noticed a few weeks ago that my hair has been breaking a lot. I figured out one of the reasons was because most of my products had coconut oil and protein. But now, I've also figured out that it's time for a trim. 

At the back of my mind, I've know this for a while but I've been postponing it. When the breakage increased and I realised I haven't retained a lot of length in a few months I had to make a plan. Okay I'm being a bit dramatic but I think you get what I mean. Lord knows I need a professional to trim off all my dead ends. I was holding onto them because I didn't want to lose much length but I'm ready now. Don't be surprised if you see me with another big chop in a few days lol. I'm just kidding.. kinda :) 

I realise now that in my quest for long hair, I've done things that are counterproductive to achieving this. Another is combing my hair wet even though I use a wide tooth comb. I've done this a few times when I was in a hurry after washing my hair but I'm promising my hair to stop now. My hair breaks a lot when I do this and it's not worth it. 

The last one is too much protective styling. My edges have grown since I did Bob box braids. I think this is because obviously the braids were big and not heavy so they weren't weighing my hair down and pulling my hair too much. Since I took out my braids though, I haven't done any long term protective style I've just left it alone a bit and this has really helped my edges.

To end this rambling, what I'm trying to say is, my new hair goal is Healthy Hair. No length goals for now, just healthy hair. If I can focus on having healthy hair I know length will follow but really that's what I want right now.

What are your hair goals for the rest of the year? Have you guys made any major hair mistakes this year? 

Have a beautiful month guys!!

Oyime :) 

4 comments:

  1. I let out my hair recently and couldn't believe how far it has grown considering that I took down good inches in the name of trimming. The plan is for it to be healthy. I'm no longer obsessed with long hair. I figured that if it's healthy, the hair will grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Can't wait for my trim now lol :D

      Delete
  2. Oh wow... Your hair is beautiful please don't cut it too much.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please leave a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...