Tuesday 13 January 2015

How To Take Care of Braids During the Dry Season

Hey hey!  

How's it going? Hope your week is going great!  Mine is dragging a bit to be honest I can't wait for the weekend and it's just Tuesday. 

I realised that comments from people without a Google+ Account was disabled when someone told me she tried to make a comment and it didn't work. I've fixed that now so if you want to make a comment feel free to ;) 
Also, please make sure you vote in the poll so I know what you would like to see more posts on.

Okay now onto the business for the day... this harmattan is too real. I decided to hide my hair away in braids when the dry season started because of how dry my hair was feeling and I thought I wouldn't have to do too much to it while in braids. So I was just doing my normal spritzing once in 3 days but my scalp was so dry. 

I was still using water, glycerine and castor oil in my spray bottle but glycerine really isn't good for hair during harmattan so I had to change my braids regimen a bit.

These are a few things that have worked for me 

1. Spray Bottle: Water, Aloe vera and Castor oil 

I've eliminated my beloved glycerine for the time being and replaced it with aloe vera and castor oil. I've also started spritzing my hair every other day as opposed to once in 3 days so I spritz my scalp and hair about 5 times a week now. 

2.  Oil Hair and Scalp with Castor Oil 

You can use coconut oil to avoid product build up or any other oil but if you're protein sensitive  you can use whichever oil works for you. After spritzing my scalp I use castor oil about 3 times a week. Because of how thick castor oil is though it's best not to use too much.

3. The Green House Effect

This involves covering your hair with a shower cap or plastic bag overnight to increase moisture. I usually do this with my natural hair and I'll do a post on this when my hair is out. I did this with my braids twice last week and it helped with the dryness.

4. Stay Hydrated

We all know how important water is for the health of our hair. If our body is hydrated our hair is more moisturised and less dry too..so it's really important to drink more water. 


Thanks for reading :)


Oyime

6 comments:

  1. None of these will be good for my hair because it is protein sensitive :( so the best thing for me is to over moisturise my hair before putting in braids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey kenny have you tried the green house effect? I don't think protein sensitivity would affect it

      Delete
  2. I have natural hair and its out? Will this help me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will help but because of how dry the weather is you also have to deep condition at least once a week and moisturise a bit more. If you're willing you can try the green house effect thrice a week. This should help if your hair has been feeling dry :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Oyime, I have a TWA which has been the same length for a while. My hair's out now and I've been using water, olive oil, profectiv leave-in daily but for a week now but im not sure that keeps my hair moisturized. Please, do you have any tips on length and moisture retention? I have 4c, quite stubborn hair
    Thank you so much. You have been really helpful to me with my natural hair journey so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      It's a bit hard to keep natural hair especially a twa moisturised during the dry season so I'll suggest doing braids.
      You can also deep condition more often and maybe try a new leave in conditioner if profectiv isn't working for you. Good luck I hope this works!
      Thanks for the kind words, glad I can help :-)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please leave a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...