Friday 19 June 2015

7 Foods For Healthy Hair


Hey guys! It's Friday again! What are your plans for the weekend? Will you be attending Naturals in the City 11 (NITC 11) tomorrow? I would really like to be there even though I have a few places to go. I'm going to try and make it for an hour at least because, I always miss this particular meet up and I've wanted to go since the last Naturals in the City meet up I attended in November 2013. 

We all know that our hair is a reflection of what we put into our body. If you're healthy your hair is healthy. I know that when I slack in my water intake my hair feels quite dry and it usually feels better when I'm well hydrated. 

There are many foods that contain a lot of nutrients that boost hair growth and health. These are a few that promote healthy hair and are easy to find:

ALMONDS: Almonds contain high contents of biotin which help promote hair growth and thickness. I eat almonds once in a while as a snack when chocolate or biscuits are nowhere to be found and I don't want to leave my house. I also drink almond milk as a substitute for dairy milk and they sell it in a lot of supermarkets in Lagos. 

BEANS: Beans contain a lot of protein,  iron, zinc and biotin, which promote hair growth.

CARROTS: Carrots contain beta-carotene which our bodies convert into Vitamin A.  Vitamin A promotes production of sebum from our scalp which reduces dryness of our hair and  promotes shiny hair. 

EGGS: Eggs are rich in protein, iron and biotin. Our  hair is mostly made of protein and eggs help to strengthen our hair and encourage hair growth. Bear in mind that it is the yolk that contains most of the nutrients for hair growth and not the egg white.

FISH (SALMON, SARDINE, TUNA) : These contain omega-3 fatty acids. Your body doesn't produce these on its own but needs them. They help promote hair growth by thickening and strengthening hair. I'm going to introduce more tuna into my diet. I don't like salmon or sardine that much.

SPINACH: Dark green leafy vegetables like spinach contain a lot of nutrients that are good for healthy hair. They contain Vitamin A, beta carotene, iron and Vitamin C. They reduce breakage by keeping your hair moisturised. This shouldn't be hard to get since we use it in a lot of our meals. 

SWEET POTATOES: Sweet potatoes also contain beta carotene which our body turns into Vitamin A. 
I used to hate sweet potatoes when I was younger because I always felt hot food should have salt and not sugar. Now, I like sweet potatoes though I prefer them fried. It's healthier to eat boiled sweet potatoes though. 

Have a great weekend!! 

Oyime :) 

Photocredit: Food52.com

1 comment:

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please leave a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...