Friday 4 September 2015

On My Mind: Tea Rinse for Natural Hair



Hey guys!! It's almost the start of the weekend! Do you have any plans for the weekend? I don't really have any plans yet but I'm thinking of taking out my kinky twists. I've had them for almost 4 weeks (Sunday will make it exactly 4 weeks). Anyway, that's not what I want to talk about today. 

I've heard a lot about tea rinses since I went natural. I haven't always been too adventurous with my hair and I just wasn't interested in using tea in my hair. When my hair is in a protective style and I start missing it, I read a lot of natural hair posts on different things to do to my hair. Then, when I take my hair out I don't end up doing those things so maybe this is one of those things. 

Last week, I was looking for videos on deep conditioning natural hair with rinse out conditioner, which I didn't find a lot of videos on. I saw a video however, of someone using green tea to deep condition her hair by putting it in a spray bottle and just spritzing her braids. Then, on Instagram I saw a post on using a tea rinse to reduce shedding and soften hair so I decided to just do a little research on tea rinses. 

Tea rinses are done by brewing a cup of tea, usually green tea, black tea or both. You leave it for some hours or overnight, and pour it over your hair after you've clarified your hair. From what I've read, it could make your hair a bit stiff after the rinse so it's best to deep condition after. 

Green Tea helps reduce shedding, stimulates hair growth and contains Vitamins C, E and panthenol. It also helps with dandruff.

Black Tea also helps reduce shedding and strengthens hair. It is said to also brighten hair.

I'll probably try this at least once though I'm not sure if it'll be next week, next month or next year. It seems a lot of the people that have talked about it have had good experiences with it.

If you want to read more about tea rinses and other teas you can use, you can read this post on CurlyNikki.

Have you tried a tea rinse before? What teas did you use and what was your experience with it? 

Looking forward to hearing from you guys! Have a lovely weekend!

Oyime :)

9 comments:

  1. I have tried tea rinses before. I noticed less shedding when I did the consistently. It also made my hair a bit stiff. :-( Looking forward to seeing your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit wary because I don't want stiff hair :( Did you deep condition after the tea rinse?

      Delete
  2. When I had shedding, tea rinses worked almost instantly. Be sure to get a good deep condition session in afterwards to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing a tea rinse is an integral part of my wash day... it's been amazing in reducing my shedding and breakage but it causes stiffnes(there's always a but)... I always do it right before my DC...
    One thing to note tho Green tea lightens your hair over time black tea darkens hair over time so I opt for black tea plus it's cheaper thanks to Lipton lol....

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please leave a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...