Sunday 17 May 2015

The Nigerian Natural Hair & Beauty Show 2015





Helloo people! Guess who was at the NNHB Show yesterday organised by Nibi Lawson of The Kinky Apothecary. I was so excited about going for this event and I had such an awesome time. I took a lot of pictures for you guys :)

When I got there, there were a few people there doing a bit of shopping and taking pictures. I was walking around and Zainab of The Curly Belle recognised me because, she featured me on her blog some time ago. It was so good to meet her in person.



Before the show started, I took a few pictures and I met Ijeoma Eboh of Klassy Kinks. She was so warm and friendly and I love her hair colour. She makes me want to finally dye my hair.




PANEL DISCUSSION

From L-R: Cassidy Blackwell, Felicia Leatherwood, Ijeoma Eboh, Nibi Lawson, Obia Ewah &Ngozi Opara

We had a lot of hair experts at the show. Felicia Leatherwood who is a Natural hair expert and Celebrity hairstylist to stars such as Jill Scott, Teyonnah Paris & Will Smith did a workshop on Loving Your Hair With Natural Care. Cassidy Blackwell of the Natural Selection Blog, Ijeoma Eboh of  Klassy Kinks Obia Ewah of Obia Natural Hair, Ngozi Opara of The Heat Free Movement and Wunmi Akinlagun of Woman in The Jungle.


The 1st workshop by by Cassidy Blackwell. She talked about how textured hair is not the same as straight hair, how you need to look for people with a similar hair texture to yours and to do what works best for your hair. Another important part of her workshop was health. She encouraged us to eat right and do more exercise because, your hair is a product of what you put into your body. 

Cassidy Blackwell

The next workshop was by Ijeoma Eboh who talked about how we need to stop seeing our hair as Stubborn, but instead start seeing it as Sexy. According to her, Sexy hair is Healthy hair. She spoke about how you need a good regimen and you also need to identify the ingredients that work best for your hair. One thing that I think is important which she talked about is, in our quest for long hair, we need to make sure our hair remains healthy. 

Ijeoma Eboh



Next was Felicia Leatherwood's Workshop

Felicia Leatherwood


These are a few things I got from her workshop:

1. If you keep doing protective styles over and over again with no breaks in-between, you can damage your cuticle. 

2. If you're struggling with dandruff, you may benefit from applying your shampoo to your scalp before using water. I think even if you don't have dandruff this is worth a try. Also, dandruff can be caused by eating foods with too much sugar.

3. Deep conditioning should be done at least twice a month

4. The water you use to wash your hair shouldn't be too hot or it can dry out your hair. 

5. You should dry your hair with a t-shirt and not a towel as it can snag and pull put some of your hairs.

6. Always read and follow the instructions on products.

7. You should trim your hair 3-4 times a year.

8. If you're trying to regrow your edges you can use castor oil or Organic Root Stimulator Growth Balm. 

She called out 4 people from the audience and Cassidy Blackwell to show us different hair textures and educate us on whether that hair type would benefit from a gel or a cream.



After this, she chose 2 people from the audience to show us one of the ways to style your our hair and she called me!!! I was so excited :D 





She did this within like 10 minutes with bobby pins!! I didn't even know my hair could do this! I'm so excited to start trying out updos.

After this I went out to take more pictures and do a bit of shopping. 



Nibi Lawson & I



Chime of Igbo Curls

With Ngozi Opara of Heat Free Hair

A selfie with Cassidy Blackwell






Ajali Handmade Naturals

R&R Luxury
My Sacred Beauty


My Goody Bag



I had a really good time at the meet up and I learnt so much.

Thanks for reading and have a great week!

Oyime :)

8 comments:

  1. yeeeey.....it was so nice meeting you oyime!!! lol. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lt was really nice meeting you too Zainab!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow am so loving the natural hair do now but how long would I wait for my hair to grow long? *sadface

    Www.trendwithgloria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gloria! It won't take too long as long as you take care of it :)

      Delete
  4. Awww, the hairstyle you got is very pretty! Why would you think your hair can't have updos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Berry!! I thought it was too full and it wasn't long enough to get it into an updo. I know better now lol :)

      Delete
  5. I found your blog through Referrers on my stats page. It looks great and your camera quality is on point!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please leave a comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...